Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The World War I Home Front

The fictional story (based on factual evidence) of Dave (22 years old) – An America Civilian on the home front

How has the war impacted my life? (Raising Funds and Troops)

It is 1917 and war with Germany is underway. Already, many of my friends have been drafted because of the Selective Service Act. This required all men 21 to 30 years old to register for the draft. I was not chosen. Thought my friends weren’t excited about the draft at first, national pride had caused patriotic fervor, and many became eager to support their country. My best friend Brett said he was ready from the start to join the American Expeditionary Force, otherwise known as the name given to U.S. Soldiers fighting in Europe. He is now fighting with this force alongside France on the western front in order to take down Germany. My other best friend, Jemaine, sent me a letter the other day saying that his convoy drove through France, and many cheered on while the Americans drove by, prepared to fight. Even though I am not physically fighting in the war, I am still doing my best to support the cause. In couple days, there is a Bond Drive at the local park. It will help raise much needed money. I plan on purchasing a couple Liberty Bonds in order to support the war from here (the home front). I do miss my friends very much, but I know we must all try to do our best to support the war. Overall, the war, in my opinion has caused a hightened sense of national pride.

No comments:

Post a Comment